Probably Due To Network Congestion

Archive for June 2012

Hop Sap IPA – I was planning to do a Liquorice stout but thought stuff it I want some in-yer-face hops, I’ll dry hop this in the FV for about a week.

Fermentables:
Lager Malt – 82%
Cara Belge (Weyermann) – 8.7%
Wheat Malt – 4.8%
Flaked Barley – 3.5%
Amber Malt – 1%

Hops:
Willamette – 6.4 % @ 60 mins – 63g
Magnum – 14.5 % @ 30 mins – 27g
Chinook – 12.5 % @ 0 mins – 30g (80c steep for 20-30mins)
Citra – 13.8 % @ 0 mins – 30g (80c steep for 20-30mins)
NZ Cascade – 10.2 % @ 0 mins – 30g (80c steep for 20-30mins)

Dry Hops:
Magnum – 5g
Chinook – 50g
Citra – 28g
NZ Cascade – 35g
Columbus – 20g
Simcoe – 60g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 5.3% ABV
Total Liquor: 33.9 Litres
Mash Liquor: 13.4 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 % (actually hit 85.5%)
Bitterness: 70 EBU
Colour: 12 EBC
Yeast: Safale US-05
Copper Finings: 1/2 Protafloc Tablet

Bucket of malts, 5.584kg:
Image
Mash on at 66c:
Image
Gypsum, Epsom, Salt, I used THBF Liquor Treatment calculator for Pale Ale:
Image
Hops for the copper, I’ll probably dry hop too:
Image
Fairly tidy view of my brew area:
Image
My Brewday Record Sheet:
Image
In go the start of boil Willamette hops:
Image
I made a thing while i was in the garage, the thinking was for somewhere to put all my brewing books in the garage, It looked a lot better than this in my head!:
Image
Almost finished running off from the copper to the FV, I was using the Immersion Cooler today:
Image

I forgot to that a hydro shot, though in any case I hit the nail on the head… if I hadn’t started trying to be creative with wood it would have been a easy day! πŸ˜€

*21st Jun ’12 – Dry hopped today at 20Β°c with about 200g of Blitzed up hops, the food processor didn’t like it! I’ll drop the temp tomorrow once I’ve double checked the gravity is steady at 1013.

*30th Jun ’12 – chilling to 4c for a couple of days before bottling to drop some hop debris out. Tastes bloody good, just what I was after πŸ™‚

*Bottled 3rd Jul ’12 with 78g white sugar, tastes pretty good bit sharper with stirring up the hops which retained about 3-4 litres of perfectly good beer!! I’ll make sure I blitz them for longer in the food processor next time so hopefully they will settle out to a thinner layer of mush rather than loads of still whole hops!

*7th Jul ’12 – Early taster, while out with the Leeds Homebrewers at Ilkley Brewery, Bloody fantastic πŸ™‚ very pleased just need a little more time to carbonate up properly πŸ™‚

*15th Jul ’12 – Tastes blooming good πŸ™‚

Advertisements

Just a few snaps of an old project, this was built for Hopzine Rob and was recently used by Broadford Dave πŸ™‚

Dual Helix Wort ChillerDual Helix Wort Chiller
Dual Helix Wort ChillerDual Helix Wort Chiller
Dual Helix Wort ChillerDual Helix Wort Chiller

No other info, it was a while ago that I made this πŸ™‚

Olicana Rutilus – This is my entry to the Ilkley Brewery / Leeds Homebrewers competition, an American Red/Amber/Brown style beer at 1038.

I’m doing a number of firsts for me with this brew:

  • The first time using of my Plate Chiller which I’ve had for ages with intent to use!
  • The first time I’ve done a 20 minute total boil time!
  • The first time I’ve tried Hop-Bursting!
  • The First time I’ve used Apollo hops!

Fermentables:
Lager Malt
Carapils (Weyermann)
Munich Malt I (Weyermann)
Chocolate Malt
Cara Munich Type III

Hops:
Columbus
Apollo
Apollo

Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 3.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 17.6 Litres
Mash Liquor: 4.9 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 % (got over 81%)
Bitterness: 35 EBU
Colour: 39 EBC
Yeast: Safale US-05

Today’s Malts:
Image
First run out of the Plate chiller (Heat Exchanger), with my second Solar Project pump:
Image
Ye Olde mini-Mash Tun:
Image
First Wort Hops, Columbus, with a THBF calc Mild profile for my liquor treatment:
Image
Apollo hops, I’m using up the dregs, still sticky as owt and stinky:
Image
Oh… Nooo!!! Hot Side Aeration! Recirc to Sanitise:
Image
Flameout Hops:
Image
This was actually a pretty quick brewday, didn’t quite hit my 1038 OG and got 1035-ish, this will be down to me guessing and 5% boil-off, it was actually a lot less as I collected 14 Litres in the FV rather than the planned 12 Litres. So something to adjust for next time I do a 20min boil. The break material formed in the bucket after cooling, I back-flushed the Plate Chiller and set it on a recirc for about half an hour with hot clean water.
Its been a long day as I’ve bottled 50-odd bottles of Nit Wit after brewing, then cleaned the FV and fridge from the WLP400 mess!!
I’ll post the full recipe details after judging πŸ˜‰

Here’s Dave’s brewday blog of his entry.
And this is Neil’s Blog of his entry.

*14th Jun ’12 – Dry hopping time πŸ™‚
Apollo hops whizzed up in a clean blender, about 4g per litre, a tip from @dredpenguin and his blog A Beer on the Downs though I didn’t puree mine I just dry blitzed them:
Image
Dry hops tipped on the yeast head and stirred in, I’ll leave at current temp for a couple of days then stir again and drop the temperature to 17c then 11c for about a week before crashing it down to 4c to settle the hop debris out:
Image

*Bottled 21st Jun ’12 – with 60g white sugar in 13 litres of beer.


Vital Stats

  • 212,853 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,701 other followers