Archive for September 2009
This is basically a Coniston Bluebird Bitter with 500g of Munich Malt (and about 80g too much Crystal as it seemed a shame to leave such a small bag full!) and a little extra hopping. I’ll be pitching a split Whitelabs Edinburgh Ale yeast.
Maris Otter 3600g
Munich Malt 500g
Crystal Malt 170g
Boadicea 60 mins 27g (FWH)
Challenger 30 mins 30g
Challenger 20 mins 21g
Challenger 0 mins 10g
Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 4.1% ABV
Total Liquor: 32.6 Litres
Mash Liquor: 10.7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 48 EBU
Colour: 15 EBC
The Grain; Maris Otter, Munich Malt, Crystal Malt:
Mashing, thanks to my honey for the photo 😉 :
Mashed in a little high:
pH of Mash looks somewhere near:
Boiler warming Sparge water and Mash tucked up under a coat:
Hops and brew Sheet:
No sparging photos as its stuck like a B’stard again!! Not happy, even with more and larger saw cuts in the copper manifold (Using the Thermos coolbox), it might have to be net curtain time next brew.
I’m finding the grain bed is going really solid, could this be the problem, could it maybe be my stirring technique after adding the batch sparge water etc?
Boadicea and 5g Gypsom FWH:
Challenger 30 min Hops:
OG:1040 couple of points out, though it was 27 Deg C so that about right, and I collected a few litres more than I should have:
Aeration and hop debris catching:
Pitched yeast at 26C-ish which had half an hour or so with some Fresh cooled wort added to it after decanting the ‘beer’ off the top of the yeast split bottle.
Fingers crossed for an Úber-Bluebird;)
**Bottled Tuesday 6th October 2009 with 100g sugar
Today, I shall mostly be making a Timothy Taylors Landlord 🙂 www.timothytaylor.co.uk
The recipe will be coming from the Graham Wheeler book.
12 litre brew length in my 15L mash tun with just a couple of additions to the recipe:
10g Bobek @ Zero Minutes
Caramelise the first 2L runnings.
Apparently the Taylors spring water comes from Limestone country in the Yorkshire dales so I’ve added some Calcium Carbonate to the mash along with Gypsum
The Grain, Chalk and Gypsum:
Mashed in @ 66.8 C:
pH is around about right, maybe a little low:
Hops prepared and Stacked in order of use, water treatment and a little yeast nutrient and Protafloc tablets:
These are looking good:
Clive the Brewers assistant, happily sun bathing while I was taking pictures of the hops:
Mash finished at 65 C, ran over 15mins to 105 minute mash:
Recirculating the first couple of litres:
First Batch Sparge, the big jug in the back ground has the 2 litres for caramelisation, second batch sparge stuck and took some prodding to get it to run off, I might sack the False bottom and make a copper manifold:
First Wort Hops (FWH) and water treatments:
Boiling the heck out of the 2L:
Bandit, Brewers Second assistant:
Anyone for Toffee?? This stuff tastes yummy! This was added back to the boiler:
The Cooler doing its stuff:
Pitching Whitelabs Edinburgh Ale yeast, 1 litre starter from a tube I’m splitting:
Round about right, give or take the odd point or two, which means my volumes were pretty much on target:
Not a bad one, breakfast and lunch had amongst it, the caramelisation took about 90 mins so that has slowed me down a touch, wort tastes pretty good with a good kick of Styrians (Bobek).
**Update** 19/09/09 – Had a sneaky sample from the trial jar, its down to its FG nicely and it taste, well… rather Landlordy 😉 Maybe lacking a bit of Crystal Malt or Dark Crystal, maybe worth adding a bit more next time. Time will tell when its fully matured.
**Update** Bottled 22/09/09 with 50g household sugar, bottled in Timothy Taylors bottles and I’ll be printing some labels like this:
… Subtle changes 😉