Probably Due To Network Congestion

Archive for January 2010

This is an excuse to use 5kg of Munich, and the hops are an excuse to make the freezer drawer shut properly! 🙂  If I was being sensible I’d be making my planned 12 litre brew of St Austell’s Admirals Ale, but I’m not being sensible and only put this together this morning with a late start with the Mash start @ 12.45pm which will be for 90mins @ about 64C to try for the maximum fermentable sugars.
Yeast is going to be some Whitelabs Burton Ale yeast (3 yeast splits going to go in without a starter as they could do with using up) I know this yeast is going to eat up hope flavour and aroma so there’s going to be a good bit of dry hopping following initial fermentation.
I’ve added a good helping of Gypsum added to the mash so bring out the hops and make the yeast happy.

I’m hoping for a Hoppy and Bitter IPA with a balancing maltiness (but not too balancing as I want a fairly big hit!) 🙂

Munich 5000 IPA

Fermentables:
Munich Malt 20 EBC 5000g
Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC 500g
Caramalt 20 EBC 200g

Hops:
Aurora @60 mins 45g
Beeta @30 mins 50g
Beeta @15 mins 40g
Aurora @15 mins 35g
Celeia 35 grams (Might do either flame out or 80C steep for 30mins)
Beeta 10g (Dry Hop in FV)
Aurora 10g (Dry Hop in FV)
Celeia 20g (Dry Hop in FV)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 5.4% ABV
Total Liquor: 34 Litres
Mash Liquor: 14.3 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 72 EBU
Colour: 34 EBC

Munich malt, caramalt, wheat malt, Gypsum and grain temp:
Image
Filling and pre-heating the mash tun:
Image
Doughing in:
Image
Start of mash Temp:
Image
pH right on the money:
Image
The hops:
ImageImageImageImage
Recycling batch sparge runnings, sparge was pretty horrible:
Image
15min hops:
Image
Flame out steep hops:
Image
Hydrometer with temp correction is about 1052, 3 points low:
Image

Late start, late finish, things went to plan just a few points adrift on the OG and sparge was annoying.
The wort was very tasty, just a nice tingly bitterness and nice and fresh tasting, should ferment out to some bitter-goodness 🙂
I’ve got a little less than I anticipated left for dry hopping, but that still means that I’ll be sinking a hop bag with 35g in it, I need to find a suitable weight 🙂

This is the most hops I’ve put in anything, 205g to the copper with 35g for Dry hopping as mentioned 🙂

*Bottled 10th Feb 2010 with 120g DSM

Builders Lager – a lager based on HH’s Lager recipe, but 1000g of Munich and replacing the Saaz with Perle & Hersbrucker hops and no sugar. I’m trying to stick with something simple! 😉

Fermentables:
Lager Malt 3000g
Munich Malt 1000g
Caramalt 400g
Flaked Maize 400g

Hops:
Perle Whole @ 60 mins 20g (FWH)
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 15 mins 20g
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 0 mins 20g (20-30-ish minute steep)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
Alcohol Content: 4.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 33.1 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 20 EBU
Colour: 12 EBC

Mash will be at least 90mins at 65c.
Diamond Lager Yeast to be well over pitched as its out of date.

The Grain bill, Lager malt, Caramalt, Crushed flaked Maize and 1 tsp Gypsum (Photo missing the Munich Malt):
Image
The Munich malt:
Image
Strike heat:
Image
Mash Temp, I was aiming for 65c:
Image
The hops, Perle and hersbrucker:
Image
I through half the bittering hops in as FWH and half when the boil started:
Image
Just coming to a good boil:
Image
the 15minute addition:
Image
The Hydro reading, 1046 ish:
Image
A full pudding basin full of rehydrated Diamond lager yeast:
Image
Running off into FV:
Image

Went pretty good, mash stuck a little, hit my predicted OG, day took longer to finish up as we had to go and meet with our electrician and plumber in the middle of it all, so the final soak hops got a very long soak!

**Racked to Cornie + 5 Large Swingtop bottles 31st Jan ’10

This should be a good whack in the mouth to the Bitterness receptors 😉

Over-run by Yanks

Fermentables:
Golden Promise – 2350g
Wheat Malt – 260g
Caramalt – 100g

Hops:
Pacific Gem @ 60 mins 5g (FWH)
Nelson Sauvin @ 15 mins 21g
Cascade @ 15 mins 16g
Centennial @ 15 mins 16g
Nelson Sauvin @ 0 mins 21g (80c Steep for 30 mins)
Cascade @ 0 mins 10g (80c Steep for 30 mins)
Centennial @ 0 mins 10g (80c Steep for 30 mins)

Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol Content: 5% ABV
Total Liquor: 18.9 Litres
Mash Liquor: 6.8 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 66 EBU
Colour: 9 EBC

The Grain bill and the temp:
Image
Mashing:
Image
66.6c Start of Mash:
Image
A blooming shed load of 15min and Steep Hops:
Image
A totally poxy amount of bittering hops:
Image
66.4c end of mash temp:
Image
Dirty puddle water with the FWHs:
Image
Frothy scummy boil:
Image
The 15min hops, a mix of Cascade, Nelson Sauvin & Centennial here:
Image
The 80c steep hops stirred in and left for 30mins:
Image

Nottingham Yeast dry sprinkled, I wasn’t as nice to my yeast today but its pretty well over pitched so should be OK
The wort was bright and straw coloured and has a good bitterness already 🙂  and my OG was 1047 rather than the planned 1051 which was probably due to me over-estimating the amount of wort the hops would hold, I usually go for 3L for losses to Hops & Trub but I went for 4L today.
Mash and batch Sparge both went well though I think my extra litre didn’t help my efficiency which was down to just over 70%, my liquor was treated to the GW Calc Dry Pale Ale profile so I didn’t do my semi-usual 5g Gypsum in with the grist.

*Bottled 6th Jan ’10 with 55g of DSM


Vital Stats

  • 212,574 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,701 other followers