Probably Due To Network Congestion

Archive for August 2010

Double Brewday Sunday, this is the first. There’s a few pics on my https://twitter.com/pdtnc

Flakey Mild Entire Stout

Fermentables:
Lager Malt 2700g – 57.3%
Mild Ale Malt 1000g – 21.2%
Chocolate Malt 250g – 5.3%
Roasted Barley 200g – 4.2%
Flaked Oats 180g – 3.8%
Flaked Barley 180g – 3.8%
Caramalt 100g – 2.1%
Crystal Malt, Dark 100g – 2.1%

Hops:
Progress @ 90 mins – 57g
Saaz @ 10 mins – 40g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 4% ABV
Total Liquor: 33 Litres
Mash Liquor: 11.8 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 42 EBU
Colour: 189 EBC

Temp of dry malts:
Image
Mash Temp:
Image
First runnings going into the copper with Progress FWH:
Image
Near as damn it hit my predicted 1044:
Image
The Twins:
Image

Safale s-04 yeast Pitched at 23c, hopefully an easy drinking tasty stout 😉

*Cornie + Bottled 4th Sept ’10 bottles with 1/2 Tsp White Sugar, Keg to Force Carbonate 30 psi and disconnected (to be checked periodically).

The second brew of Sunday’s Double Brewday 😉 A serious Hoppy pretty large beer!

Imperial Amarillo Wheat

Fermentables:
Munich Malt 3160g 46.2%
Wheat Malt 2680g 39.1%
Lager Malt 665g 9.8%
Caramalt 335g 4.9%

Hops:
Amarillo @ 60 mins – 250g (First Wort Hops)
Amarillo @ 15 mins – 100g
Amarillo @ 0 mins – 100g (Flameout Steep for 20mins)
Amarillo 80g (To Dry Hop)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.066 – I actually got 1.059 ish
Final Gravity: 1.016
Alcohol Content: 6.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 35.1 Litres
Mash Liquor: 17.1 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 244 EBU – Bitterness surprisingly nice tasting the unfermented wort!
Colour: 26 EBC – The Colour is lovely

Mashed for 90mins @ 66c, Boiled for 60mins, took an age to cool with loads of stirring!

Quite a Full bucket of malt:
Image
FWH, 250g of Amarillo:
Image
Hops in the copper, there is some wort underneath!:
Image
100g at 15mins left to boil:
Image
Hop Stew, the spoon just stands up in it there are so many hops in the copper:
Image
There is a IC in there somewhere:
Image
About 5 points low on my target, I was half expecting this with such a large amount of Munich Malt coupled with the massive amount of Hops in addition to the compensated 5 Litres of losses guestimate!:
Image
The Twins:
Image

😉 US-05 dry sprinkled at 23c
I’m guessing the US-05 will finish lower than predicted so the ABV will hopefully be around that predicted.

*Bottled 4th Sept ’10 with 65g White Sugar

*Last of the bottles 3rd March ’12, yes… 2012! This has really changed, this was a Brewdog-esque in-yer-face Bitter-bastard of a beer, now it is delicate and refined with honey sweet notes on the nose, an altogether different beer. I would put it in the same class as an aged Fullers ‘Brewers Reserve’, its making me want to brew it again and just leave 40 bottles well alone for 2 years before tasting. Mmmmm 🙂

ORBY v1.2 – A Tweak & Re-brew of this Over-Run By Yanks a Hoppy AmeriZealand Pale. The first version just didn’t last long enough, it was brilliant, so I thought it about time I made another version with MORE hops 😉 A bit different malt bill, I’m classing the Wheat Malt just like any other Pale malt as I have plenty of it, the Munich is there to add some maltiness that the Lager Malt will be lacking.

Fermentables:
Lager Malt – 2200g – 45%
Wheat Malt – 2200g – 45%
Munich Malt – 390g – 8%
Crystal Malt – 98g – 2%

Hops:
Pacific Gem @ 60 mins – 12g (First Wort Hop)
Nelson Sauvin @ 15 mins – 30g
Cascade @ 15 mins – 20g
Centennial @ 15 mins – 30g
Nelson Sauvin @ 0 mins – 46g (80c Steep for 30mins)
Cascade @ 0 mins – 30g (80c Steep for 30mins)
Centennial @ 0 mins – 30g (80c Steep for 30mins)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.048 (actually hit 1052)
Final Gravity: 1.011
Alcohol Content: 4.8% ABV
Total Liquor: 33.2 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12.2 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 62 EBU
Colour: 11 EBC

90minute Mash @ 66c followed by a 60minute Boil.

Yeast is Safale US-05 thick yeast skimmed from my previous brew 🙂
Protafloc Tablet @ 20mins.
All water treatments for 33Litres were added to the Malts prior to mashing.
Brewsheet & Strike heat on phone:
Image
The malts, Temp, & water treatments for ‘Dry Pale Ale’:
Image
Hops weighed out, a total of 198g:
Image
FWH Pacific Gem hops & Old lager yeast as Nutrient:
Image
Thought I’d check my pH for a change, near as damn it:
Image
Avoiding the dreaded, Shock Horror!, Hot Side Aeration my arse bull… It actually stops the end of the pipe dangling in the wort while its heating up:
Image
It actually managed to escape the copper just a little but some quick blowing and a bit of a stir saved it:
Image
15min hops going into a really good rolling boil:
Image
Believe me, this is 1052, 4 points above my target which I think is 12.8Brix www.fermsoft.com/gravbrix:
Image
Just added some fresh wort to the skimmed yeast ready to pitch:
Image
FV with a good bit of aeration:
Image
The Soon to be ‘Hop Compost’:
Image
Pictures on T.watter – https://twitter.com/pdtnc

I managed a 93.7% Mash Efficiency, I think its time to change the settings in BeerEngine from 75% to 85% or more! 🙂

*Bottled 17th Aug ’10 with 80g of White Sugar primings. Tasting marvellous 😉


Vital Stats

  • 212,574 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,701 other followers