Probably Due To Network Congestion

Archive for August 2011

Munich Weißbier – The last in my Tale of 3 Weizens wheat beer experiments , this time a more traditional approach with German hops and 2 colours of Munich malt. The mash was smelling really Ovaltine like.
This is a tweaked recipe from my original plan, and thoughts of 66.6% Wheat Malt get suggestions of a stuck mash, the Mash couldn’t have been more free running and I put this down to the Perforated stainless False bottom. I bet I could do a 100% Wheat Malt beer!

Fermentables:
Wheat Malt – 66.6%
Munich Malt I (Weyermann) – 24.1%
Munich Malt II (Weyermann – 8%
Melanoidin Malt – 1.2%

Hops:
Hallertauer Hersbrucker – 3 % @ 60 mins – 23g
Hallertauer Mittlefruh – 4.2 % @ 60 mins – 23g
Hallertauer Hersbrucker – 3 % @ 5 mins – 12g
Hallertauer Mittlefruh – 4.2 % @ 5 mins – 12g

Final Volume: 21 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.062 (I actually got 1058 which I’m happy with)
Final Gravity: 1.015
Alcohol Content: 6.2% ABV
Total Liquor: 29.8 Litres
Mash Liquor: 13.9 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 18 EBU
Colour: 18 EBC
Yeast: Whitelabs WLP300 Hefeweizen (repitch of 100ml of slurry from AG#61)
Mash: 66c for 2 hours+
Boil: 60 mins
Liquor: Treated to General profile in the THBF calc

First Wort Hops are Hersbrucker & Mittlefruh:
Image
Approx 100ml of WLP300 Slurry from AG#61, a combo of some skimmed off the top and a thin skim off the bottom:
Image
5 min hops going in along with Protafloc:
Image
I didn’t go mad with the pictures as I was bottling the last wheat beer while the mash was on.
My Mash efficiency is down a bit and I struggled to get 70% but I’ll put this down to it being the very last of my sack of Wheat malt and the Combo of Munich malts. I’ll have all fresh malts ready for a brewday the first weekend in September.

*Bottled 6th Sep ’11 with 70g of White sugar

Amarillo WeizenPart 2 of my Weizen experiment, again using Whitelabs WLP300. It was another long Mash today as I had to go down to work for a while so it had a 2 hour 10 min mash!

Fermentables:
Wheat Malt – 50%
Lager Malt – 40%
Melanoidin Malt – 10%

Hops:
Amarillo AA 6.7 % @ 60 mins – 44g
Amarillo AA 6.7 % @ 5 mins – 38g

Final Volume: 21 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol Content: 4.9% ABV
Total Liquor: 30.8 Litres
Mash Liquor: 11.2 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 38 EBU
Colour: 16 EBC

Malts, Salts & Temp (I used the Liquor Treatment calc at THBF today for a change):
Image
I decided to have a play at recirculating the wort on both batch sparges (as Leedsbrew did last weekend), though sad to say I only managed a pathetic 68% mash efficiency. I’m again amazed at my False Bottom in the mash tun, I was recirculating at full throttle with a very good flow:
Image
Late hops with protafloc tablet go in at 5minutes left of boil:
Image
Some hops, the Amarillo were smelling lovely:
Image
OG is 1054:
Image

Yeast pitched from a split from last week, 330ml crown capped bottle at room temperature pitched into 20°c wort. I was about 4 litres down in the FV but I’m not going to Liquor-back, it will save on bottling!

*Bottled 21st Aug ’11 with 60g of White Sugar


Vital Stats

  • 212,574 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,701 other followers