Archive for July 2009
Beard Lovers Bitter – W.G.V IPA
Lager Malt 1040g
Maris Otter 1040g
Wheat Malt 520g
Crystal Malt, Pale 53g
Whitbread Golding 90 mins 26g (FWH)
Whitbread Golding 30 mins 13g
Whitbread Golding 15 mins 13g
Fuggle 10 mins 10g
Saaz Whole 0 mins 10g (80 C Steep for 20 mins)
Treated using Grahams water treatment calculator for the Burton Pale Ale profile.
Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol Content: 5.0% ABV
Total Liquor: 18.9 Litres
Mash Liquor: 6.7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 56 EBU
Colour: 8 EBC
Closed lid mash temp:
Yeast Starter, Nottingham Yeast:
Hops and Protafloc:
Finished Mash Temp:
A bit of extra late hopping:
First Sparge Wort:
FWH and first batch of the sparge go on to warm up:
Second Batch of sparged wort:
Mmmm, my first Cold Break in the boiler, my new IC doing its job:
Murky wort in the FV with yeast Pitched at 22 C:
I started at 7.30am and finished about 3pm! Had lunch and breakfast in amongst.
I ended up with OG:1058 so watered down with 1.9L of ASDA Smart Price water in the boiler before collecting in the FV. The collected wort was pretty murky, try as I might I could not get it to run clear, I’m wondering if my short brew lengths of 12 litres are to blame with half the depth of hop-bed filtration in comparison to a 5 Gallon brew.
**Bottled 22nd July 2009**
Making my Immersion cooler:
I made the aluminium spacer strips to hold the coils about 5mm apart, the strips also let it sit nicely on the bottom of my stockpot boiler without interfering with the hop strainer.
I wound the 10 metres of 10mm Diameter copper around a small 15 litre bucket which left it quite neat then knocked up the ally strips at work last night, just had to add a short length of bent 15mm pipe to get the coils end points closer so I could bring the inlet/outlet pipe closer together so I can cable tie them when I’m done.
I have the hose connections pointing horizontal with 2x 10mm solder-ring reducers which fit nicely in the end of the garden hose to be jubilee clipped:
Soldered up and connected:
Cooling test Update:
Warming up, bits of pipe scum coming loose and floating…
On the boil:
The Cooling results are, from 100 Deg C:
7mins – 49 C
10mins – 39 C
15mins – 28 C
20mins – 23.6 C
25mins – 21 C
I had to get my stopwatch out and stirred the water at least every 2 minutes, the boil was of roughly 30 litres, I’ll only be brewing and cooling about 12 L in reality.
IC is nice and clean now ready for Saturdays brewday 🙂
A Little Hop update 🙂
From Left to right…
Fuggles cuttings still alive!
WGV cutting doing well 🙂
Replacement WGV from aplus hops 🙂 Doing well as the first one just died.
The Challenger plant is now making its way onto the strings I’ve strung across the yard.
The Fuggle is really going for it!!!!!
I was itching to do an All Grain but I’m not really going to have time this weekend, so here’s a quicky Extract to test out some of my new ingredients 🙂
The smells coming from the Pan are rather nice, lovely roasty aroma, and the Liberty hops smell really nice, fresh and zesty. This brew is also serving as a bit of a user-upper so I can move on to more full mash recipes 🙂
Rye Stout with Liberty Hops
Hopped DME Light – 500 g
Dried Malt Extract Pale – 450 g
Dextrose Monohydrate – 200 g
Caramalt – 150 g
Roasted Barley – 150 g
German Roasted Rye Malt – 100 g
Crystal Rye Malt – 80 g
Liberty 25g @ 60 mins (FWH)
Liberty 25g @ 15 mins
Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.041
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 3.6% ABV
Bitterness: 38 EBU (will be higher due to the bag of hopped DME)
Colour: 160 EBC
No pictures as its hot and this is meant to be a quicky brew! I’ll probably leave it to cool naturally overnight.
**Bottled 16/07/09, tasted pretty good**