Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘ORBY

Craft Brewers Association 1st

Craft Brewers Association 2010 competition held at the Copper Dragon Brewery, my ‘Over-run By Yanks v1.2’ Won the Strong Ale class 🙂

Advertisements
ORBY v1.2 – A Tweak & Re-brew of this Over-Run By Yanks a Hoppy AmeriZealand Pale. The first version just didn’t last long enough, it was brilliant, so I thought it about time I made another version with MORE hops 😉 A bit different malt bill, I’m classing the Wheat Malt just like any other Pale malt as I have plenty of it, the Munich is there to add some maltiness that the Lager Malt will be lacking.

Fermentables:
Lager Malt – 2200g – 45%
Wheat Malt – 2200g – 45%
Munich Malt – 390g – 8%
Crystal Malt – 98g – 2%

Hops:
Pacific Gem @ 60 mins – 12g (First Wort Hop)
Nelson Sauvin @ 15 mins – 30g
Cascade @ 15 mins – 20g
Centennial @ 15 mins – 30g
Nelson Sauvin @ 0 mins – 46g (80c Steep for 30mins)
Cascade @ 0 mins – 30g (80c Steep for 30mins)
Centennial @ 0 mins – 30g (80c Steep for 30mins)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.048 (actually hit 1052)
Final Gravity: 1.011
Alcohol Content: 4.8% ABV
Total Liquor: 33.2 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12.2 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 62 EBU
Colour: 11 EBC

90minute Mash @ 66c followed by a 60minute Boil.

Yeast is Safale US-05 thick yeast skimmed from my previous brew 🙂
Protafloc Tablet @ 20mins.
All water treatments for 33Litres were added to the Malts prior to mashing.
Brewsheet & Strike heat on phone:
Image
The malts, Temp, & water treatments for ‘Dry Pale Ale’:
Image
Hops weighed out, a total of 198g:
Image
FWH Pacific Gem hops & Old lager yeast as Nutrient:
Image
Thought I’d check my pH for a change, near as damn it:
Image
Avoiding the dreaded, Shock Horror!, Hot Side Aeration my arse bull… It actually stops the end of the pipe dangling in the wort while its heating up:
Image
It actually managed to escape the copper just a little but some quick blowing and a bit of a stir saved it:
Image
15min hops going into a really good rolling boil:
Image
Believe me, this is 1052, 4 points above my target which I think is 12.8Brix www.fermsoft.com/gravbrix:
Image
Just added some fresh wort to the skimmed yeast ready to pitch:
Image
FV with a good bit of aeration:
Image
The Soon to be ‘Hop Compost’:
Image
Pictures on T.watter – https://twitter.com/pdtnc

I managed a 93.7% Mash Efficiency, I think its time to change the settings in BeerEngine from 75% to 85% or more! 🙂

*Bottled 17th Aug ’10 with 80g of White Sugar primings. Tasting marvellous 😉


Vital Stats

  • 215,732 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,701 other followers

Advertisements