Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘hersbrucker hops

I’ve been pondering on this one for a while, I think this is going to make a good combo of Hops… with hopefully a slightly spicy edge from the Crystal Rye and some good maltiness. Thats the plan at least!

Nelson Brucker

Fermentables:
Pale Malt – 2740g – 75% (Actually 3650g as I weighed the total grain amount rather than the Pale malt!)
Crystal Rye Malt – 365g – 10%
Munich Malt – 365g – 10%
Torrefied Wheat – 180g – 5%

Hops:
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 60 mins 15g
Nelson Sauvin @ 60 mins 15g
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 15 mins 40g
Nelson Sauvin @ 15 mins 20g
Nelson Sauvin @ 0 mins 20g
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 0 mins 30g

Final Volume: 23 Litres – I’ve been going against my half batches a bit lately ;)
Original Gravity: 1.040 – (Actually 1.050 due to Pale malt mess up!)
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 3.9% ABV – (Actually 5%)
Total Liquor: 32 Litres
Mash Liquor: 9.1 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 85 % – I’m starting out at 85% now rather than 75% (Actual Efficiency was 86.2%)
Bitterness: 42 EBU – (Actually 39 as I added 5 mins to boil to compensate a little)
Colour: 28 EBC – (Actually 30EBC, though it does look a nice colour)

Today’s malts:
Image
Weighing out the salts:
Image
Boring Mash shot:
Image
Our hops today are…:
Image
First runnings going into the copper with First Wort hops:
Image
Copper about Half full, collected a total of 30L @ 10.2Brix = 1.039, 108% Mash Efficiency??!! I think I must have weighed something wrong?! Maybe an extra kilo of Pale if it looks like its going to be a 5.1% after the boil:
Image
Weirdly I managed to hit 1040!:
Image
Quite like this colour, its Beer coloured:
Image

Pitched Safale US-05 at 22-23c
The post boil gravity was 1043 according to the Refractometer’s 11.2brix which should make the 4% beer I was aiming for if it finishes at 1012! (I’m a little confused about all this, should I really stick to 75% mash efficiency in my recipe software?)
1043 – 1012 x 0.129=3.999% ABV

*Bottled 22nd Sept ’10 with 75g White Sugar

My first Wheat Beer and a bit of a user-upper too 🙂  I’m only doing 19L as the recipe is tailored around the 2kg of Wheat Malt I had left, with the Crystal Wheat & Chocolate Wheat it takes the Wheat percentage to just over 50% of the entire malt bill.
Hops are the end of a bag of Perle, pre-dry hopped Mittlefruh kept in the Freezer, and the end of a bag of Hersbrucker.
The yeast needed using up too 😉
No intentions of using any water treatments other than to kill the Chlorine and not going to be using protafloc as I want to keep this beer cloudy.

Dark Wheat WB06

Fermentables:
Wheat Malt 2000g 45.4%
Maris Otter 2000g 45.4%
Crystal Wheat Malt 200g 4.6%
Carafa Special III 100g 2.3%
Chocolate Wheat Malt 100g 2.3%

Hops:
Perle @ 60 mins 26g
Hallertauer Mittlefruh @ 20 mins 20g
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 10 mins 34g

Final Volume: 19 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 5% ABV
Total Liquor: 28.3 Litres
Mash Liquor: 11 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 36 EBU
Colour: 96 EBC

Mash for 90mins, Boil for 60mins, pitch and attempt to keep as cool as possible in the garage (I’m going to need a fermenting fridge sometime!)

The Malts; 50:50 Maris Otter & Wheat Malt, Carafa Special 3, Chocolate Wheat malt, Crystal Wheat malt, NO Gypsum or other water treatments today:
Image
Mash at 67c, which is probably 66c on my thermometer:
Image
FWH:
Image
Coming to a boil, even so it was only a 19L brew it was close to boil over, a full 23L would have needed a bit of stirring etc:
Image
1052:
Image
Muddy water:
Image
Safbrew WB-06 dry sprinkled:
Image

Another no fuss brewday, kind of had a bit of a break in the middle before starting the boil but still finished up for about 1pm 🙂
Weird not using Protafloc (or other copper finings) the total lack of any cold break material and instead just muddy looking wort, all in the sake of Cloudiness.

*Bottled 3rd Jun ’10 with 100g Sugar priming.

Builders Lager – a lager based on HH’s Lager recipe, but 1000g of Munich and replacing the Saaz with Perle & Hersbrucker hops and no sugar. I’m trying to stick with something simple! 😉

Fermentables:
Lager Malt 3000g
Munich Malt 1000g
Caramalt 400g
Flaked Maize 400g

Hops:
Perle Whole @ 60 mins 20g (FWH)
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 15 mins 20g
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 0 mins 20g (20-30-ish minute steep)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
Alcohol Content: 4.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 33.1 Litres
Mash Liquor: 12 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 20 EBU
Colour: 12 EBC

Mash will be at least 90mins at 65c.
Diamond Lager Yeast to be well over pitched as its out of date.

The Grain bill, Lager malt, Caramalt, Crushed flaked Maize and 1 tsp Gypsum (Photo missing the Munich Malt):
Image
The Munich malt:
Image
Strike heat:
Image
Mash Temp, I was aiming for 65c:
Image
The hops, Perle and hersbrucker:
Image
I through half the bittering hops in as FWH and half when the boil started:
Image
Just coming to a good boil:
Image
the 15minute addition:
Image
The Hydro reading, 1046 ish:
Image
A full pudding basin full of rehydrated Diamond lager yeast:
Image
Running off into FV:
Image

Went pretty good, mash stuck a little, hit my predicted OG, day took longer to finish up as we had to go and meet with our electrician and plumber in the middle of it all, so the final soak hops got a very long soak!

**Racked to Cornie + 5 Large Swingtop bottles 31st Jan ’10


Vital Stats

  • 218,643 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,558 other followers