Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘target hops

Pale, Wheat and Rye – Something with Rye malt, fairly pale with just a bit of sweetness coming from the Pale Crystal Malt

 

Fermentables:
Maris Otter 1040g
Wheat Malt 520g
Rye Malt 520g
Crystal Malt, Pale 205g

Hops:
Target @ 60 mins 16g (FWH)
First Gold @ 15 mins 10g
First Gold @ 0 mins 10g (I ended up doubling this to 20g)
Protafloc @ 20 mins

Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 4.1% ABV
Total Liquor: 18.5 Litres
Mash Liquor: 5.7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 46 EBU
Colour: 14 EBC

1tsp Gypsum to each Mash & Boil, 90 minute Mash which stretched to 105 minute.
Yeast Safale s-04

The grains an 1 tsp gypsum for the mash:
Image
Grist temp:
Image
Mashed in spot on (I forgot to take an end of mash temp):
Image
pH looks good:
Image
The colour of the first batch sparge (with the second batch added its going to be a nice straw colour):
Image
Running off, had a bit of sticking but the wort was going to be a bit cloudy anyway with the wheat:
Image
Hops all sorted, I decided to double up the 10g 0 mins to 20g:
Image
Just started boiling:
Image
10min steep of 20g First Gold @ flame outs:
Image
Cold break:
Image
Hit about the right OG:
Image
Splish splash:
Image
Dry Sprinkled Safale s-04, left to sink for 15mins then thrashed with a paddle:
Image
Left overs:
Image
Front left is todays brew, back left is Yorkshire Trappist red with experiments on top, front right is the JBK Anniversary brew, back right is Amber Otter:
Image

This morning :)
Fermentation less than 24 hours later:
Image

 

I’m hoping the Target hops will have kept some flavour to add some extra zing to the First Gold.

*Bottled 3rd Nov ’09

Coopers Stout + 1kg Dark Spray Malt + 20g Target + 20g Fuggles (40min boil) + 10g Fuggles (10min boil) + 250g Malto Dextrin + 100g Wheat Spray Malt


Yet another home brew experiment 🙂

*Less than 24 hours later*


Coopers Stout all over the floor
Originally uploaded by pdtnc

The YouTube version with kind of a spooky composition to go with the monster escaping!

*Bottled Today 18th April 09*
Original Gravity (OG): 1040
Final Gravity (FG): 1010
Alcohol Content (ABV): 3.94%

OK, I’ve gone and done it… these should be pretty different.. One weak and light, and One Dark and bitter!
Its a Geordie Yorkshire Bitter Kit split in two so I can mess around a bit with the brewing process, each of my two Fermentation Vessels

In FV1:

  • 20 Pints of Geordie Yorkshire Bitter
  • ASDA Smart price Liquor
  • 500g Medium Spray malt
  • 280g Brewing Sugar (just what I had left in a bag)
  • 100g Demerara Sugar
  • 20g Target Hops Steeped for 15mins in cafetiere (Hop Tea)
  • Kit Yeast used and brought to life for a good couple of hours before pitching
  • OG: 1040

In FV2:

  • 20 Pints of Geordie Yorkshire Bitter
  • ASDA Smart price Liquor
  • 500g Light Spray malt
  • 20g Saaz Hops steeped for 15mins in cafetiere
  • Safale s04 Yeast also working well before pitching
  • OG: 1032

Are they going to be OK or awful?
They might both be awful, but I’m thinking of these as experiments before I make a mess of any other kits 🙂

**Update**
The Only Drawback here is I shall probably have to prime my bottles rather than priming my Bottling Bucket (which is FV2).
I do have some other buckets but I’d have to buy a drum tap, I’ll probably stick to 1 Bucket brews after this as I think I bent my head a bit trying to remember what volumes of liquor to add…
I mixed the Kit and the liquor in 1 bucket first to less than the stated full 40 Pints, then had 1L dissolved malt/sugar and 1L-ish of Hop Tea.
They both have a nice rocky head this morning 🙂
My rehydrated yeast was pretty impressive as both the Kit Yeast and the Safale04 were trying to escape from their sterile cling-filmed jugs, the S04 was really going for it. Pitched the Yeast at about 24 Deg C.
As the pictures now show, yeast heads and constant 20 Deg C 🙂

**Second Update**
Looks like FV1 is going to have Alcohol Content (ABV): 2.89% and FV2’s Alcohol Content (ABV): 3.94% as they have both settled at around FG: 1010

**Third Update**
Primed with 40g Brewing Sugar and bottled today (07/03/09) 23 Bottles of each and half a 2L coke bottle, all capped and at 20 Deg C for 1 week. I’ve wrote on all the crown caps so I don’t get them mixed up, GYB Saaz & GYB T – Geordie Yorkshire Bitter Saaz + Light Spray Malt & Geordie Yorkshire Bitter Target + Medium Spray Malt + Brewing Sugar + Demerara.
My sneaky little taste of both brews are quite promissing as they both taste better than the Woodfordes Wherry, I’ll be looking forward to these ones. 🙂 The Saaz batch with the Safale s04 Yeast dropped out almost clear whereas the Kit yeast stayed in suspension a bit more.
Geordie Yorkshire bitter - Saaz & Target hopped batches

The two big plastic buckets I got from work streamlined my bottle sanitizing procedure, it still took me over an hour to clean, sanitize and rinse about 50 bottles though (did some extras so i wouldn’t get caught out). I also got a couple of drum taps from the HBS so I fitted 1 bucket with a tap and used it as my bottling bucket.


Vital Stats

  • 218,643 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,558 other followers