Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘safale s04

Extract#004: Otter Dark Stout
Brewed this yesterday, its happily fermenting away now 🙂


Here’s the ingredients:


FWH, grains & Extract in at 40 deg C:

Some Floaters!:

Hot Break, I’d actually stirred it back down before taking this:

Half time, better have a slurp, which was my first ever Extract brew (Hop back Entire Stout):

Boiler run-off, the wort was cooled in the bath upstairs over a couple of hours:

Our tiny cooker! I let this go into the 25L bucket rather than my 15L as I expect the stout to explode shortly!:

Left overs:

Fermentables:
Bulldog Blend Maris Otter Extract – 1500g
Crystal Malt – 185g
Roasted Barley – 185g
Chocolate Malt, Pale – 185g
Crystal Wheat Malt – 100g

Hops:
Fuggle – 60 mins 17g (FWH)
East Kent Golding – 60 mins 10g (FWH) *cheers for adm for the info here on First Work Hops.
Fuggle – 15 mins 10g
East Kent Golding – 15 mins 10g

Yeast:
s-04, pitched at 22 Deg C from a 2 hour fizzing starter and given a really good aeration.

Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.048 (Actual reading about 1046 after cooling to 22, also after watering down by 3L after boiler run-off)
Final Gravity: 1.016
Alcohol Content: 4.2%ABV
Total Liquor: 16.9Litres
Bitterness: 37EBU
Colour: 246EBC (Its a dark one!)

… and my first time sanitising with spray bottle and Iodophor, it feels weird not being able to smell bleach… it it really sanitised?!!!! 😀

**Bottled 4/6/09** sneaky taste, quite interesting, lots of Pale Chocolate malt coming through.

OK, I’ve gone and done it… these should be pretty different.. One weak and light, and One Dark and bitter!
Its a Geordie Yorkshire Bitter Kit split in two so I can mess around a bit with the brewing process, each of my two Fermentation Vessels

In FV1:

  • 20 Pints of Geordie Yorkshire Bitter
  • ASDA Smart price Liquor
  • 500g Medium Spray malt
  • 280g Brewing Sugar (just what I had left in a bag)
  • 100g Demerara Sugar
  • 20g Target Hops Steeped for 15mins in cafetiere (Hop Tea)
  • Kit Yeast used and brought to life for a good couple of hours before pitching
  • OG: 1040

In FV2:

  • 20 Pints of Geordie Yorkshire Bitter
  • ASDA Smart price Liquor
  • 500g Light Spray malt
  • 20g Saaz Hops steeped for 15mins in cafetiere
  • Safale s04 Yeast also working well before pitching
  • OG: 1032

Are they going to be OK or awful?
They might both be awful, but I’m thinking of these as experiments before I make a mess of any other kits 🙂

**Update**
The Only Drawback here is I shall probably have to prime my bottles rather than priming my Bottling Bucket (which is FV2).
I do have some other buckets but I’d have to buy a drum tap, I’ll probably stick to 1 Bucket brews after this as I think I bent my head a bit trying to remember what volumes of liquor to add…
I mixed the Kit and the liquor in 1 bucket first to less than the stated full 40 Pints, then had 1L dissolved malt/sugar and 1L-ish of Hop Tea.
They both have a nice rocky head this morning 🙂
My rehydrated yeast was pretty impressive as both the Kit Yeast and the Safale04 were trying to escape from their sterile cling-filmed jugs, the S04 was really going for it. Pitched the Yeast at about 24 Deg C.
As the pictures now show, yeast heads and constant 20 Deg C 🙂

**Second Update**
Looks like FV1 is going to have Alcohol Content (ABV): 2.89% and FV2’s Alcohol Content (ABV): 3.94% as they have both settled at around FG: 1010

**Third Update**
Primed with 40g Brewing Sugar and bottled today (07/03/09) 23 Bottles of each and half a 2L coke bottle, all capped and at 20 Deg C for 1 week. I’ve wrote on all the crown caps so I don’t get them mixed up, GYB Saaz & GYB T – Geordie Yorkshire Bitter Saaz + Light Spray Malt & Geordie Yorkshire Bitter Target + Medium Spray Malt + Brewing Sugar + Demerara.
My sneaky little taste of both brews are quite promissing as they both taste better than the Woodfordes Wherry, I’ll be looking forward to these ones. 🙂 The Saaz batch with the Safale s04 Yeast dropped out almost clear whereas the Kit yeast stayed in suspension a bit more.
Geordie Yorkshire bitter - Saaz & Target hopped batches

The two big plastic buckets I got from work streamlined my bottle sanitizing procedure, it still took me over an hour to clean, sanitize and rinse about 50 bottles though (did some extras so i wouldn’t get caught out). I also got a couple of drum taps from the HBS so I fitted 1 bucket with a tap and used it as my bottling bucket.


Vital Stats

  • 218,791 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,558 other subscribers