Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘pale crystal malt

Mild Ale II – The second of my brews for the www.gbhomebrew.co.uk competition, a Mild Ale based on my last Mild so slightly tweaked but hopping remains very similar. It wasn’t intended to have Pale Crystal in it but I ran out of Crystal Malt so had to substitute some.

Malts:
Pale Malt – 70%
Munich Malt – 10%
Crystal Malt – 6%
Flaked Oats – 6%
Crystal Malt, Pale – 4%
Chocolate Malt – 2%
Chocolate Wheat Malt – 2%

Hops:
Golding 21g – 4.2% @60mins (FWH)
Fuggle 21g – 3.8% @60mins (FWH)
Golding 13g – 4.1% @10mins
Fuggle 13g – 3.8% @10mins

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 3.6% ABV
Bitterness: 23 EBU
Colour: 67 EBC
Yeast: Windsor
Mash: 60-90mins @ 69c
Boil: 60mins
Liquor: Treated to Mild Profile using GW Calc

Malts, Temp and Liquor treatments:
Image
The Mash at 69c:
Image
Hops weighed, small common salt addition to go in the Copper and Protafloc tablet for last 5 mins:
Image
First run-off onto First Wort Hops:
Image
In go the 10 minute hops:
Image
Windsor yeast rehydrated as the packet suggests, using 2 packets as I hear things about Windsor yeast stalling:
Image
Aerated and in the FV:
Image
I forgot to take a OG shot, it was 1040 with the hydrometer, Refractometer said 1038 so near enough either way.
I had 86.5% Mash Efficiency and hit my 69c mash temp.

*18th Sep ’11 – Word to the wise… Forget Windsor, it stops really high and in theory would leave me with a 2.8-3% Beer…
Soo….
I’ve rehydrated 26g of Nottingham yeast, added it and 90g of dissolved Demerara Sugar to the FV and given it a rather good stir… Fingers crossed for a few more points!

*Cornie 22nd Sep ’11 with Allkleer finings, 4 500ml bottles primed with 1/2 Tsp sugar, FG 1018 so about 2.8% beer! First & last use of Windsor yeast I think! When brewed again I’ll use my usual us-05 yeast.

Pale, Wheat and Rye – Something with Rye malt, fairly pale with just a bit of sweetness coming from the Pale Crystal Malt

 

Fermentables:
Maris Otter 1040g
Wheat Malt 520g
Rye Malt 520g
Crystal Malt, Pale 205g

Hops:
Target @ 60 mins 16g (FWH)
First Gold @ 15 mins 10g
First Gold @ 0 mins 10g (I ended up doubling this to 20g)
Protafloc @ 20 mins

Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 4.1% ABV
Total Liquor: 18.5 Litres
Mash Liquor: 5.7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 46 EBU
Colour: 14 EBC

1tsp Gypsum to each Mash & Boil, 90 minute Mash which stretched to 105 minute.
Yeast Safale s-04

The grains an 1 tsp gypsum for the mash:
Image
Grist temp:
Image
Mashed in spot on (I forgot to take an end of mash temp):
Image
pH looks good:
Image
The colour of the first batch sparge (with the second batch added its going to be a nice straw colour):
Image
Running off, had a bit of sticking but the wort was going to be a bit cloudy anyway with the wheat:
Image
Hops all sorted, I decided to double up the 10g 0 mins to 20g:
Image
Just started boiling:
Image
10min steep of 20g First Gold @ flame outs:
Image
Cold break:
Image
Hit about the right OG:
Image
Splish splash:
Image
Dry Sprinkled Safale s-04, left to sink for 15mins then thrashed with a paddle:
Image
Left overs:
Image
Front left is todays brew, back left is Yorkshire Trappist red with experiments on top, front right is the JBK Anniversary brew, back right is Amber Otter:
Image

This morning :)
Fermentation less than 24 hours later:
Image

 

I’m hoping the Target hops will have kept some flavour to add some extra zing to the First Gold.

*Bottled 3rd Nov ’09


Vital Stats

  • 218,643 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,558 other followers