Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘liberty hops

Phlegm – A Belgian Style beer made with Whitelabs WLP550 and another brew using up odd bits and bag ends.
‘Phlegm’ Flemish, Belgian, Dutch, Flanders etc

Fermentables:
Lager Malt – 45.2%
Vienna Malt – 15.1%
Pale Malt – 14%
Golden Naked Oats – 10.9%
Aromatic Malt – 4.3%
Muscovardo Candy Light – 3.8%
Sugar,Belgian Candy Light – 3.8%
Cara Red – 3%

Hops:
Liberty @ 60 mins – 60g
Bobek @ 60 mins – 50g
Bobek @ 10 mins – 10g
Liberty @ 0 mins – 40g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.071 – Actually got 1066 according to the Refractometer
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 7.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 36.4 Litres
Mash Liquor: 15.3 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
Bitterness: 41 EBU
Colour: 52 EBC

First Wort Hops:
Image
Wort running to copper:
Image
Light Home made candy sugar:
Image
Flame-out liberty hops, 20min steep:
Image
Its really 1066, a few points low, I was expecting it low as the Naked Golden Oats were not crushed just blitzed in a blender for a while:
Image
Wort running to fermenter@ 18c:
Image
Dregs of my starter WLP550, hopefully it will get going pretty soon:
Image

*Bottled 19th Jan ’11 with 85g of White Sugar, hit its target FG

I’m doing a stout that I did as an extract recipe, it got lots of praise from mates at the time so now its time for the all grain 😉  The original Extract brew is here

I’m off to a worse than expected start, I’m not liking the look of sitting my copper on the shiny new range cooker in the kitchen, even with just the mash liquor in it its looking a bit heavy for it! Arse!
So got the mash on at 8am and started to build up the new Fokker burner in the garage, I knew even before siblings up a spanner that I would be a screw short! Sure enough, mechanical intuition proves right! One leg bolt short!
Gas jet changed for the natural gas jet and hose connected to burner inlet, I’m going out now to try get another fitting so I can actually connect the gas supply up.

Anyone know if there should be gasket sealant on the fibre gasket that closes off the inside of the cast burner?
Cheers.

The Recipe:
Rye Stout mkII

Fermentables:
Maris Otter 3000g 66.9%
Flaked Barley 500g 11.2%
Roasted Barley 280g 6.3%
Caramalt 250g 5.6%
Crystal Rye Malt 250g 5.6%
German Roasted Rye Malt 200g 4.5%

Hops:
Liberty @ 60 mins- 50g (FWH)
Liberty @ 15 mins- 50g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 3.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 32.8 Litres
Mash Liquor: 11.2 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 40 EBU
Colour: 160 EBC

Malt inspection by cat:
Image
Bits of the new kitchen where i decided not to brew:
Image
Preparing the liquor, Hot water straight from mains pressure feed:
Image
Pre-heating the Mashtun, on the new shiny cooker:
Image
I was aiming for 66c:
Image
Moved into the garage and bought some plumbing fittings to hook up the new boiling ring to the mains gas:
Image
Trying to get the height right for the Heath-Robinson 3-teir:
Image
Sparge liquor going in:
Image
Just about to start first run-off:
Image
Liberty Hops:
Image
FWH’s warming up:
Image
15min hops with chiller already in, protafloc went in just before the chiller:
Image
Chiller water running to outside grate, I hooked up the chiller to the cold feed with a couple of push fits and a length of plastic water pipe:
Image
Aiming for 1042, this looks pretty close:
Image
Kind of a deep brown, wort was tasting quite bitter, lots of flavor:
Image
Running off after cooling to 23c:
Image
Hops n trub:
Image
Fairly well aerated, though still gave it a bit of a thrash after the yeast (s-04) went in:
Image

Once I got over the Kitchen / gas fittings issue it was actually pretty smooth 🙂  Fingers crossed it can only get smoother from now on 🙂

I was itching to do an All Grain but I’m not really going to have time this weekend, so here’s a quicky Extract to test out some of my new ingredients 🙂
The smells coming from the Pan are rather nice, lovely roasty aroma, and the Liberty hops smell really nice, fresh and zesty. This brew is also serving as a bit of a user-upper so I can move on to more full mash recipes 🙂

Rye Stout with Liberty Hops

Fermentables:
Hopped DME Light – 500 g
Dried Malt Extract Pale – 450 g
Dextrose Monohydrate – 200 g
Caramalt – 150 g
Roasted Barley – 150 g
German Roasted Rye Malt – 100 g
Crystal Rye Malt – 80 g

Hops:
Liberty 25g @ 60 mins (FWH)
Liberty 25g @ 15 mins

Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.041
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 3.6% ABV
Bitterness: 38 EBU (will be higher due to the bag of hopped DME)
Colour: 160 EBC

No pictures as its hot and this is meant to be a quicky brew! I’ll probably leave it to cool naturally overnight.

**Bottled 16/07/09, tasted pretty good**


Vital Stats

  • 218,791 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,558 other subscribers