Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘ic

London Porterish – This is a bit of a user-upper / Christmas gift / Christmas beer / a beer I only recently tasted at a beer fest and thought was amazing (Fullers London Porter). So this recipe is based around the one in the Graham Wheeler book, though a touch of Wheat malt added for head and the mix of Crystal malts is using up odd ends of malt. Hops are Sovereign which I have never used before.

Fermentables:
Pale Malt – 3990g – 70%
Brown Malt –  625g – 11%
Crystal Malt – 340g – 6%
Wheat Malt – 285g – 5%
Chocolate Malt – 225g – 4%
Crystal Rye Malt – 170g – 3%
Crystal Malt, Dark – 57g – 1%

Hops:
Sovereign @ 60 mins – 56g
Sovereign @ 10 mins – 19g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.015
Alcohol Content: 5.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 34 Litres
Mash Liquor: 13.7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
Bitterness: 33 EBU
Colour: 144 EBC
60min Mash @ 68c
60min Boil
Cooled to 21c before pitching yeast
Mash treated with General Profile in the GW water treatment calc
3g of common Salt added to copper at the end of the boil

Updates on my Twitter-T.watter page – https://twitter.com/pdtnc
Malts, Temp & Salt additions:
Image
The three tier:
Image
Waste of time checking pH as usual:
Image
Mash efficiency 95.3%!:
Image
First runnings being recycled, FWH & old yeast ready in copper:
Image
10min hop addition:
Image
StarSan-ing everything that will touch sterile clean wort:
Image

My Mash was on at 8.05am
The Boil started at 10.30am
I collected 30litres @ 13.5 Brix
Cooling from boiling took 10mins & 44Litres of water to 33c, then 3mins more to 21c. The 44L was collected in the HLT @ 42c
Original Gravity was 1056 with hydrometer, 14.9 Brix with refractometer (1058, Bang on to recipe) 🙂
Started Run-off to FV at 12:00, taking it slowly probably took the best part of an hour.
The Wort & Hops were smelling lovely 🙂

*Bottled 17th Nov ’10 with 65g of Soft Brown Sugar Came down to FG 1020 ish, needs some age for the dark malts to meld into something lush 🙂

I’ve been pondering on this one for a while, I think this is going to make a good combo of Hops… with hopefully a slightly spicy edge from the Crystal Rye and some good maltiness. Thats the plan at least!

Nelson Brucker

Fermentables:
Pale Malt – 2740g – 75% (Actually 3650g as I weighed the total grain amount rather than the Pale malt!)
Crystal Rye Malt – 365g – 10%
Munich Malt – 365g – 10%
Torrefied Wheat – 180g – 5%

Hops:
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 60 mins 15g
Nelson Sauvin @ 60 mins 15g
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 15 mins 40g
Nelson Sauvin @ 15 mins 20g
Nelson Sauvin @ 0 mins 20g
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 0 mins 30g

Final Volume: 23 Litres – I’ve been going against my half batches a bit lately ;)
Original Gravity: 1.040 – (Actually 1.050 due to Pale malt mess up!)
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 3.9% ABV – (Actually 5%)
Total Liquor: 32 Litres
Mash Liquor: 9.1 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 85 % – I’m starting out at 85% now rather than 75% (Actual Efficiency was 86.2%)
Bitterness: 42 EBU – (Actually 39 as I added 5 mins to boil to compensate a little)
Colour: 28 EBC – (Actually 30EBC, though it does look a nice colour)

Today’s malts:
Image
Weighing out the salts:
Image
Boring Mash shot:
Image
Our hops today are…:
Image
First runnings going into the copper with First Wort hops:
Image
Copper about Half full, collected a total of 30L @ 10.2Brix = 1.039, 108% Mash Efficiency??!! I think I must have weighed something wrong?! Maybe an extra kilo of Pale if it looks like its going to be a 5.1% after the boil:
Image
Weirdly I managed to hit 1040!:
Image
Quite like this colour, its Beer coloured:
Image

Pitched Safale US-05 at 22-23c
The post boil gravity was 1043 according to the Refractometer’s 11.2brix which should make the 4% beer I was aiming for if it finishes at 1012! (I’m a little confused about all this, should I really stick to 75% mash efficiency in my recipe software?)
1043 – 1012 x 0.129=3.999% ABV

*Bottled 22nd Sept ’10 with 75g White Sugar

Making my Immersion cooler:
I made the aluminium spacer strips to hold the coils about 5mm apart, the strips also let it sit nicely on the bottom of my stockpot boiler without interfering with the hop strainer.
I wound the 10 metres of 10mm Diameter copper around a small 15 litre bucket which left it quite neat then knocked up the ally strips at work last night, just had to add a short length of bent 15mm pipe to get the coils end points closer so I could bring the inlet/outlet pipe closer together so I can cable tie them when I’m done.
I have the hose connections pointing horizontal with 2x 10mm solder-ring reducers which fit nicely in the end of the garden hose to be jubilee clipped:



Soldered up and connected:
No leaks…

Cooling test Update:
Warming up, bits of pipe scum coming loose and floating…

On the boil:

The Cooling results are, from 100 Deg C:
7mins – 49 C
10mins – 39 C
15mins – 28 C
20mins – 23.6 C
25mins – 21 C
I had to get my stopwatch out and stirred the water at least every 2 minutes, the boil was of roughly 30 litres, I’ll only be brewing and cooling about 12 L in reality.
IC is nice and clean now ready for Saturdays brewday 🙂


Vital Stats

  • 218,791 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,558 other subscribers