Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘garage brewing

AG#57 – Paper 23rd June
To celebrate our first wedding anniversary an easy drinker that will hopefully go into a cask to be served on my Handpull.
I’ve run out of Amarillo, I’d have preferred a little more in at Flameout, I might dry hop the cask with a handful of Mittlefruh for a nice subtle floral touch.

Here’s today’s recipe, which is a mix of interesting malts 🙂

Fermentables:
Pale Malt – 1290g – 33.2%
Lager Malt – 1290g – 33.2%
Vienna Malt – 455g – 11.8%
Cara Red – 290g – 7.5%
Munich Malt – 185g – 4.7%
Oat Malt – 185g – 4.7%
Wheat Malt – 185g – 4.7%

Hops:
First Gold – 7.9 % @ 60 mins – 15g (FWH)
Amarillo – 9.5 % @ 60 mins – 10g (FWH)
First Gold – 7.9 % @ 10 mins – 10g
Amarillo – 9.5 % @ 10 mins – 10g
Amarillo – 9.5 % @ 0 mins – 15g (80c Steep)
First Gold – 7.9 % @ 0 mins – 10g (80c Steep)
Columbus (Tomahawk) – 16 % @ 0 mins – 10g (80c Steep)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 3.9% ABV
Total Liquor: 32.2 Litres
Mash Liquor: 9.3 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
Bitterness: 30 EBU
Colour: 11 EBC
Mashing at 68c for an hour to keep some body in case the US-05 finished a bit dry.

Malt temp:
Image
Today’s hops, I must find a use for the other 400g of First Gold:
Image
Spargings running from the tun onto the First wort hops:
Image
I reckon there are 2 divisions in the meniscus, making me 2 points lower than I should be, so 1038:
Image

Got 89% Mash efficiency today, collected 31 Litres @ 1033

*Bottled 6th Jun ’11 with 1/4 Tsp per 330ml bottle and two Bag-in-a-Box 10Litre polypins, primed with 45g of sugar dissolved in 90ml of water, one box given 50ml and the other 40ml, fined with Allkleer. Final Gravity is 1008.

I just finished building my 45L Igloo Coolbox with Stainless False Bottom its been a fair bit of grinding with an Angle Grinder to make the right shape to fit the moulding of the coolbox, finished off in a few places with some 5/16th beer-line for a snug fit and to fix a corner I took a bit too much off, Its all spaced off the bottom with stainless cap screws. I could have fixed the corner and put Beer-line all round the circumference but had done enough grinding to make-fit.

Some of the tools used:
Image
Drilled out Tank Connector with modified Elbow fitted so it is level with the flat base of the tun thanks to the coolbox moulding where the tap fits:
Image
Stainless Steel Cap Screws used as stand-offs so about 25-30mm up from bottom:
Image
Another Cap Screw in the centre to lift it out with:
Image
Outside with Tank Connector & Ball Valve fitted:
Image
False Bottom Fitted:
Image
I had to give the Perforated stainless a good soak and scrub in Washing Soda to remove all grease that came on it.
I have to say this was easier than cutting and soldering loads of bits of copper pipe… Just needs a test run now! Maybe a BIG beer or a Parti-Gyle brew.

Double Oat Pale – Using Malted & Flaked Oats to hopefully give a full silky body, late hopped fairly heavily with German Hersbrucker & New Zealand Nelson Sauvin hops. (This hop combo worked well back in AG#37, so it should do again)

Fermentables:
Lager Malt – 75%
Caramalt – 10%
Oat Malt – 5%
Flaked Oats – 5%
Wheat Malt – 5%

Hops:
Magnum – 14.5 % @ 60 mins – 27g – (FWH)
Nelson Sauvin – 11.7 % @ 0 mins – 50g – (20-30min 80c Steep)
Hallertauer Hersbrucker – 3 % @ 0 mins – 50g – (20-30min 80c Steep)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol Content: 4.7% ABV
Total Liquor: 33.1 Litres
Mash Liquor: 11.6 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
Bitterness: 40 EBU
Colour: 7 EBC
Yeast: Safale us-05
Liquor Treatment to General Purpose in GW Calc
Mash for 60mins @ 67c
Batch Sparge @ 77c
Boil for 60mins
Protafloc Tablet @ 10mins

Malts and temp:
Image
Hops weighed out:
Image
The mash, wooo isn’t this an exciting shot!:
Image
First Wort Hops, Magnum, lovely smelling and quite sticky:
Image
Second runnings, a very hydrated pale piss colour:
Image
80c Steep hops, Hersbrucker & Nelson Sauvin:
Image
Running to FV, gave my bucket a good caustic soak today, rinse and final StarSan:
Image

88% Mash Efficiency, and Hydrometer says I hit my gravity Refractometer says I am 1 point low (I need to calibrate it).

Here’s my Pump Clip Design, done in Adobe Illustrator with a little bit of Stock Illustration from Fotolia.

Double_Oat_Pale

My first Casked Home brewed ale:

Image

*Casked 30th Mar ’11 with about 40g sugar, Alkleer Finings


Vital Stats

  • 218,643 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,558 other followers