Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘flaked rye

Imperial Smoked Porter – This is serving a couple of purposes; First is a Trial run of a big beer in my newly finished False bottom Mash tun; Second is using up some odd bags of malt and some older hops I had in the freezer and some other part bags of hops.
I’m not expecting the stated bitterness from my hops – http://www.wellhopped.co.uk/Product.htm so I’m going semi-worst case scenario and adjusting AA for age and storage.

Fermentables:
Pale Malt – 70.2%
Caramalt – 8.2%
Peat Smoked Malt, medium – 4.2%
Amber Malt – 3.9%
Oat Malt – 3.5%
Chocolate Malt, Pale – 2.3%
Crystal Wheat Malt – 2.4%
Chocolate Wheat Malt – 1.8%
Flaked Wheat – 1.6%
Chocolate Malt – 1.5%
Flaked Rye 0 EBC – 0.5%

Hops:
Bobek – 3.7 % @ 75 mins – 124g (FWH)
Admiral – 12 % @ 75 mins – 19g (FWH)
Herkules – 15.8 % @ 75 mins – 35g (FWH)
Brewers Gold – 9.1 % @ 10 mins – 68g
Cascade – 5.5 % @ 0 mins – 29g (Flame-out Steep for 20mins)
Saaz – 3.8 % @ 0 mins – 33g (Flame-out Steep for 20mins)
Simcoe – 12.9 % @ 0 mins – 20g (Flame-out Steep for 20mins)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.021
Alcohol Content: 7.2% ABV
Total Liquor: 36.8 Litres
Mash Liquor: 20.5 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 70 % (I collected 32L @ 1055 so hit efficiency but had too much liquor)
Bitterness: 121 EBU (I’m not expecting this as the bittering hops were fairly old so subtracting 30% from the AA will be more like 90EBU)
Colour: 140 EBC
Mashed for 90mins @ 66c
Boil for 75mins
Liquor treatment as per GW calc for General Purpose

Bigger bucket than normal with 8.5kg of malts:
Image
New mash tun full of hot liquor:
Image
Initial Mash a little high, cooled with cold liquor to 66c:
Image
Tidy brewsheet (version 3, other two are scibbly works in progress) along with late hops:
Image
Quite a heap of first Wort Hops in the copper along with the common salt addition:
Image
What lies beneath, mash leftovers under the mash screen:
Image
10 min hops going in:
Image
Break material clumping in the copper:
Image
Looks near as damn it to me (Showing 72 +2 divisions in the meniscus = 1076), not bad for a first outing of the new Mash Tun:
Image

I had 3.7 Litres in the new mash tun to just cover the false bottom, the first sparge top-up was a little over 3 litres so I didn’t top-up and subtracted the difference from the Second batch sparge. This was to take into account the liquor under the screen, I ended up with 32 Litres in the copper which i thought too much but by the end of the 75min boil I was at my predicted gravity so I must have worked things out right!

Thoughts on the False bottom:
The mash ran off very well and after a few jugs of recirculating it was also very clear.
After stirring the second sparge and running off I came back to the mash tun to find it had run a load of malt particles into the copper as the last of the mash drained out. I’ll have to keep an eye on it next time to stop this just as it starts to show bits coming through, or have a go a Fly sparging so as to not actually disturb the Mash bed and hopefully limit the amount of malt particles coming through.
New cleaning game, poking bits of malt out of the perforated stainless!

16th May ’11
The usual, Stout+S-04 ferment :) :
Image

*Bottled 25th May ’11 with 71g of White sugar and a tiny sprinkle of Nottingham yeast into each bottle as a bit of a safety precaution as it had dropped very bright. Finished at 1016-1018 so about 7.7% ABV.

*4th JUne ’11 Taster bottle, tasting good the Peat Smoked malt works well with the Strength of this beer, Bitterness just right so I’m glad I adjusted the hop Alpha acids for my older hops.

Kolsch Wit – Almost the malt bill of a Belgian Wit combined with Tettnang Hops and the Whitelabs Kölsch yeast. Should be very light, maybe cloudy, clean & Lager-esque.

Fermentables:
Lager Malt – 55%
Flaked Wheat- 30%
Flaked Rye – 10%
Munich Malt- 5%

Hops:
Tettnang – 4.2 % @ 60 mins – 50g (FWH)
Tettnang – 4.2 % @ 10 mins – 20g
Tettnang – 4.2 % @ 0 mins – 30g (20min Steep with the sting just knocked out of the boil with the IC)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.009
Alcohol Content: 4% ABV
Total Liquor: 32.9 Litres
Mash Liquor: 11.4 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 70 % (Reduced from my usual 80% due to having a lot of Flaked Adjuncts)
Bitterness: 26 EBU
Colour: 3 EBC

Whtelabs Kölsch yeast starter:
Image
Scoop of Lager malt:
Image
Flaked Wheat:
Image
Flaked Rye:
Image
Malt Temp:
Image
The usual FWH and first batch spargings:
Image
I cooled to 16c before running to FV and pitching the yeast:
Image
A little above my target of 1040:
Image
The refractometer read 10.5 Brix (OG: 1040)
I Mashed for 2h 15mins and got 72% Mash efficiency, I pitched the Kölsch yeast while running to the fermenter at 16c, I shall be doing my best to keep the temperature under control in the garage. It might be time for some wet towels!

*Bottled 4th May ’11 with 70g White Sugar, tasting good, yeast practically dropped bright in the FV.

*9th May: Yet another very early taster, Very very lager-esque, bottles clear as a bell & even the bit of yeast that got in the glass was clumping, hopefully the carbonation will build a little more over the next week.
If brewed again I’d be a little more liberal with the priming sugars.


Vital Stats

  • 187,909 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Twitter Twatter

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,297 other followers

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,297 other followers