Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘Brewers Gold

Imperial Smoked Porter – This is serving a couple of purposes; First is a Trial run of a big beer in my newly finished False bottom Mash tun; Second is using up some odd bags of malt and some older hops I had in the freezer and some other part bags of hops.
I’m not expecting the stated bitterness from my hops – so I’m going semi-worst case scenario and adjusting AA for age and storage.

Pale Malt – 70.2%
Caramalt – 8.2%
Peat Smoked Malt, medium – 4.2%
Amber Malt – 3.9%
Oat Malt – 3.5%
Chocolate Malt, Pale – 2.3%
Crystal Wheat Malt – 2.4%
Chocolate Wheat Malt – 1.8%
Flaked Wheat – 1.6%
Chocolate Malt – 1.5%
Flaked Rye 0 EBC – 0.5%

Bobek – 3.7 % @ 75 mins – 124g (FWH)
Admiral – 12 % @ 75 mins – 19g (FWH)
Herkules – 15.8 % @ 75 mins – 35g (FWH)
Brewers Gold – 9.1 % @ 10 mins – 68g
Cascade – 5.5 % @ 0 mins – 29g (Flame-out Steep for 20mins)
Saaz – 3.8 % @ 0 mins – 33g (Flame-out Steep for 20mins)
Simcoe – 12.9 % @ 0 mins – 20g (Flame-out Steep for 20mins)

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.021
Alcohol Content: 7.2% ABV
Total Liquor: 36.8 Litres
Mash Liquor: 20.5 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 70 % (I collected 32L @ 1055 so hit efficiency but had too much liquor)
Bitterness: 121 EBU (I’m not expecting this as the bittering hops were fairly old so subtracting 30% from the AA will be more like 90EBU)
Colour: 140 EBC
Mashed for 90mins @ 66c
Boil for 75mins
Liquor treatment as per GW calc for General Purpose

Bigger bucket than normal with 8.5kg of malts:
New mash tun full of hot liquor:
Initial Mash a little high, cooled with cold liquor to 66c:
Tidy brewsheet (version 3, other two are scibbly works in progress) along with late hops:
Quite a heap of first Wort Hops in the copper along with the common salt addition:
What lies beneath, mash leftovers under the mash screen:
10 min hops going in:
Break material clumping in the copper:
Looks near as damn it to me (Showing 72 +2 divisions in the meniscus = 1076), not bad for a first outing of the new Mash Tun:

I had 3.7 Litres in the new mash tun to just cover the false bottom, the first sparge top-up was a little over 3 litres so I didn’t top-up and subtracted the difference from the Second batch sparge. This was to take into account the liquor under the screen, I ended up with 32 Litres in the copper which i thought too much but by the end of the 75min boil I was at my predicted gravity so I must have worked things out right!

Thoughts on the False bottom:
The mash ran off very well and after a few jugs of recirculating it was also very clear.
After stirring the second sparge and running off I came back to the mash tun to find it had run a load of malt particles into the copper as the last of the mash drained out. I’ll have to keep an eye on it next time to stop this just as it starts to show bits coming through, or have a go a Fly sparging so as to not actually disturb the Mash bed and hopefully limit the amount of malt particles coming through.
New cleaning game, poking bits of malt out of the perforated stainless!

16th May ’11
The usual, Stout+S-04 ferment🙂 :

*Bottled 25th May ’11 with 71g of White sugar and a tiny sprinkle of Nottingham yeast into each bottle as a bit of a safety precaution as it had dropped very bright. Finished at 1016-1018 so about 7.7% ABV.

*4th JUne ’11 Taster bottle, tasting good the Peat Smoked malt works well with the Strength of this beer, Bitterness just right so I’m glad I adjusted the hop Alpha acids for my older hops.

After supping some of Leedsbrew’s Smoked Stout yesterday I decided I’d better use my kilo of Rauchmalt today, then I can justify buying some Peat Smoked malt😉

Kartoffel-Rauch (Potato Smoke)

Pale Malt – 2240g – 52%
Rauch Malt, Smoked – 1000g – 23.2%
Munich Malt – 800g – 18.6%
Wheat Malt – 200g – 4.7%
Cara Munich Type I – 70g – 1.6% (Leftovers from last a bag thrown in)

Brewers Gold @ 60 mins – 26g (FWH)
Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 10 mins – 25g
Hallertauer Mittlefruh @ 0 mins – 13g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol Content: 4.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 32.6 Litres
Mash Liquor: 10.8 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 85 % – Thought I’d push the limit today and see how the Theoretical compares to the Actual.
Bitterness: 27 EBU
Colour: 14 EBC
Yeast: Safale s-04
Mash temp: 66c (Aimed for 67c, time to turn up the HLT controller)
Mash duration: 90mins
Boil Duration: 60mins
Water Treatments: General Purpose for 32L added to the Malts

Mash Efficiency figures 97.7%???!!! Surely not!!!:
Malts & Malt Temp:
Brewers Gold FWH and old Lager yeast as Nutrient:
Recycling first runnings:
10min addition of Hersbrucker Hops:
OG: 1046 / 12 Brix, 2 points lower than predicted:
Dry Sprinkle of Safale s-04:

All cleaned up a little while ago, no fuss brewday, the next couple of brewdays might be presents for people or a trial-brew for an easy Blonde Christmas present🙂

*Bottled 11th Nov ’10 with 75g white sugar

Hmm, I think I need to do some serious brewing😉

Úber Brewing Nerd!

Bramling Cross
Brewers Gold
East Kent Golding
First Gold
Green Bullet
Home grown Fuggle
Nelson Sauvin
Pacific Gem

That works out at 2.79kg across 35 hops!

Need something distinctly Hoppy & Pale between 4 – 5.5%

Vital Stats

  • 210,389 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Twitter Twatter

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code


Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,700 other followers