Probably Due To Network Congestion

Posts Tagged ‘60 minute

Kind of in the vein of the Dogfish 60min IPA, and I have a big bag of Bobek! 🙂

Bobek 60 Minute IPA

Fermentables:
Lager Malt 2.5 3280g 87.1%
Munich Malt 185g 5%
Caramalt 185g 5%
Wheat Malt 110g 3%

Hops:
Bobek @ 60 mins 10g (FWH)
Bobek @ 60 mins 10g
Bobek @ 55 mins 10g
Bobek @ 50 mins 10g
Bobek @ 45 mins 10g
Bobek @ 40 mins 10g
Bobek @ 35 mins 10g
Bobek @ 30 mins 10g
Bobek @ 25 mins 10g
Bobek @ 20 mins 10g
Bobek @ 15 mins 10g
Bobek @ 10 mins 10g
Bobek @ 5 mins 10g
Bobek @ 0 mins 10g (Flame Out Steep for about 5-10mins)
Bobek @ 0 mins 10g (80c Steep for 20mins)

Final Volume: 14 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 6% ABV
Total Liquor: 22.2 Litres
Mash Liquor: 9.4 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 52 EBU
Colour: 9 EBC

Yeast is Nottingham.
Mash is 90mins @ 66c 1 Tsp Gypsum to mash.
Boil is 60mins.

The malt bill:
Image
Strike Temp:
Image
Mash Temp:
ImageImage
First Runnings:
Image
FWH and old lager yeast for nutrient:
Image
The finally complete-ish 3-Tier brewery:
Image
Hop Soup, 150g of hops in a 14Litre brew length:
Image
Lovely clear wort, nice and light, with my new refrectometer 16 brix which is apparently OG 1063 which is 3 points over my target:
Image
Hops & Trub, ran off to FV very slowly to give chance for the hops to drain and I recken I got pretty close to my intended 14L:
Image
Running to FV, Pitched 11g of Nottingham Yeast dry sprinkled then thrashed with a paddle:
Image

I had a late start after calibrating my HLT, got the Mash on at 12.30 but the day has gone very smooth. The 3-Tier system has definitely helped and speeded up the cleaning down stages, I piped the IC waste water back up to the HLT and used that for cleaning everything else once the boil was done.
Hops were dumped on the garden and the spent malt is now chicken feed for our neighbour.
My oversight was forgetting to change the Hops AA% in BeerEngine, they were 3.7% rather than 5.2% so I’m having to settle for 52 IBU rather than 66 IBU… ahh well!!
The Temp controlled HLT worked a treat, I’m so glad I added the Solar pump as a HLT stirrer as it saved loads of ladder climbing and physically stirring it, just one minor leak on the intake of the pump while the HLT has about 44L in it.
I’m finally getting to the place I want to be at with the brewery, today felt smooth and logical with the only bind being adding hops every 5 mins! 🙂

*Bottled 10th July ’10


Vital Stats

  • 218,635 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,558 other followers