Probably Due To Network Congestion

AG#21 – Rye Stout mkII

Posted on: April 10, 2010

I’m doing a stout that I did as an extract recipe, it got lots of praise from mates at the time so now its time for the all grain ๐Ÿ˜‰ย  The original Extract brew is here

I’m off to a worse than expected start, I’m not liking the look of sitting my copper on the shiny new range cooker in the kitchen, even with just the mash liquor in it its looking a bit heavy for it! Arse!
So got the mash on at 8am and started to build up the new Fokker burner in the garage, I knew even before siblings up a spanner that I would be a screw short! Sure enough, mechanical intuition proves right! One leg bolt short!
Gas jet changed for the natural gas jet and hose connected to burner inlet, I’m going out now to try get another fitting so I can actually connect the gas supply up.

Anyone know if there should be gasket sealant on the fibre gasket that closes off the inside of the cast burner?
Cheers.

The Recipe:
Rye Stout mkII

Fermentables:
Maris Otter 3000g 66.9%
Flaked Barley 500g 11.2%
Roasted Barley 280g 6.3%
Caramalt 250g 5.6%
Crystal Rye Malt 250g 5.6%
German Roasted Rye Malt 200g 4.5%

Hops:
Liberty @ 60 mins- 50g (FWH)
Liberty @ 15 mins- 50g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 3.6% ABV
Total Liquor: 32.8 Litres
Mash Liquor: 11.2 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 40 EBU
Colour: 160 EBC

Malt inspection by cat:
Image
Bits of the new kitchen where i decided not to brew:
Image
Preparing the liquor, Hot water straight from mains pressure feed:
Image
Pre-heating the Mashtun, on the new shiny cooker:
Image
I was aiming for 66c:
Image
Moved into the garage and bought some plumbing fittings to hook up the new boiling ring to the mains gas:
Image
Trying to get the height right for the Heath-Robinson 3-teir:
Image
Sparge liquor going in:
Image
Just about to start first run-off:
Image
Liberty Hops:
Image
FWH’s warming up:
Image
15min hops with chiller already in, protafloc went in just before the chiller:
Image
Chiller water running to outside grate, I hooked up the chiller to the cold feed with a couple of push fits and a length of plastic water pipe:
Image
Aiming for 1042, this looks pretty close:
Image
Kind of a deep brown, wort was tasting quite bitter, lots of flavor:
Image
Running off after cooling to 23c:
Image
Hops n trub:
Image
Fairly well aerated, though still gave it a bit of a thrash after the yeast (s-04) went in:
Image

Once I got over the Kitchen / gas fittings issue it was actually pretty smooth ๐Ÿ™‚ย  Fingers crossed it can only get smoother from now on ๐Ÿ™‚

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Vital Stats

  • 212,258 hits

Books worth a read

Suggested Sites

Historical Data

Podcast & Feeds

QR Code

qrcode

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,700 other followers

%d bloggers like this: