Posts Tagged ‘aurora hops’
This is an excuse to use 5kg of Munich, and the hops are an excuse to make the freezer drawer shut properly! If I was being sensible I’d be making my planned 12 litre brew of St Austell’s Admirals Ale, but I’m not being sensible and only put this together this morning with a late start with the Mash start @ 12.45pm which will be for 90mins @ about 64C to try for the maximum fermentable sugars.
Yeast is going to be some Whitelabs Burton Ale yeast (3 yeast splits going to go in without a starter as they could do with using up) I know this yeast is going to eat up hope flavour and aroma so there’s going to be a good bit of dry hopping following initial fermentation.
I’ve added a good helping of Gypsum added to the mash so bring out the hops and make the yeast happy.
I’m hoping for a Hoppy and Bitter IPA with a balancing maltiness (but not too balancing as I want a fairly big hit!)
Munich 5000 IPA
Munich Malt 20 EBC 5000g
Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC 500g
Caramalt 20 EBC 200g
Aurora @60 mins 45g
Beeta @30 mins 50g
Beeta @15 mins 40g
Aurora @15 mins 35g
Celeia 35 grams (Might do either flame out or 80C steep for 30mins)
Beeta 10g (Dry Hop in FV)
Aurora 10g (Dry Hop in FV)
Celeia 20g (Dry Hop in FV)
Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 5.4% ABV
Total Liquor: 34 Litres
Mash Liquor: 14.3 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 72 EBU
Colour: 34 EBC
Munich malt, caramalt, wheat malt, Gypsum and grain temp:
Filling and pre-heating the mash tun:
Start of mash Temp:
pH right on the money:
Recycling batch sparge runnings, sparge was pretty horrible:
Flame out steep hops:
Hydrometer with temp correction is about 1052, 3 points low:
Late start, late finish, things went to plan just a few points adrift on the OG and sparge was annoying.
The wort was very tasty, just a nice tingly bitterness and nice and fresh tasting, should ferment out to some bitter-goodness
I’ve got a little less than I anticipated left for dry hopping, but that still means that I’ll be sinking a hop bag with 35g in it, I need to find a suitable weight
This is the most hops I’ve put in anything, 205g to the copper with 35g for Dry hopping as mentioned
*Bottled 10th Feb 2010 with 120g DSM
Deuchars IPA – www.caledonian-brewery.co.uk
Time to pop my Cherry, Started at 8.30am, the Mash is now on at 9.20am I’m going to do a 90 minute Mash and a Boil of 60 mins… which should hopefully time well with the Bacon & Egg butties for breakfast with the other half *so we can actually use the cooker and grill ‘cos its not got a fecking huge pan on it!*
I’ve just slightly over estimated my grain weights to be on the safe side as have I with the Batch Sparge volumes using DaaB’s Batch Sparge Calculator.
Maris Otter Malt 2180 grams
Crystal Malt 105 grams
Fuggle 9 grams @ 60 mins (FWH)
Aurora 9 grams @ 60 mins (FWH)
Willamette 9 grams @ 15 mins
Bobek 10 grams @ 5 mins
Fuggle 9 grams @ 5 mins
Protafloc Tablet – Last 15-20 Minutes
Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.010 *final reading was actually 1010*
Alcohol Content: 4.2% ABV
Total Liquor: 18.5 Litres
Mash Liquor: 5.7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 33 EBU
Colour: 15 EBC
Recipe done in BeerEngine software www.practicalbrewing.co.uk and notes scrawled!
The original recipe came from www.hopandgrain.com
Most of the ingredients from www.barleybottom.com
Pre-heating the Mash tun with hot tap water, good pinch of Sodium Met treating the Hot tap water in the FV
Grain Temperature 18.5 Deg C
The Maris otter malt and Crystal Malt
Water at Strike heat and Grain ready to mash
Strike Temp, tweaked with a dash of boiling water as I decanted from the boiler with a jug and lost a few degrees
Starting Mash Temperature, Mash to last 90 minutes
All tucked up and monitored with a cheap Fish Tank thermometer from Dealextreme.com
Wort to the Copper:
End of Mash period, I actually went 15 minutes over the planned 90mins
Mash topped up and stirred ready for first runnings
First runnings, which are returned to the mash until it runs clearer (Which was at least 3 Litres)
Filling FV before transfer to boiler (Think you’d call this an Under-back)
Hops all weighed out, First Wort Hops, 15min hops, 5 minute hops and half a protafloc tablet
First Wort Hops with boiler filling
15 minute hop addition + Protafloc
5 minute Hop addition
The Wort (still hot)
Left overs (Still hot as I haven’t made an IC yet)
Safale s-04 Pitched once this had cooled down in the bath Now its cooled I can really see the cold break forming as its gone all clumpy and is slowly settling.
All done, not bad for about 6 hours, not including cooling time as it will be a while sat in cold water in the bath
And all pretty stress free, I’m glad I have been doing some extract brews as its got me fairly confident with the boiling and hop schedules, the Mash was a piece of cake with no problems.
I need to do is calibrate all my buckets and my boiler pot.
It would be handy to have an IC.
HLT isn’t necessary for the moment.
Time to look into water treatment a little.
about 18-20 Litres collected @ OG 1022 / 62.1 Deg C
In the FV:
Final Volume was about right looking for my 12 litre brew length, maybe slightly more than planned which would probably be due to Sparge Volumes / 60 vs 90 minute boils.
OG 1026 / 72.8 Deg C *Actual OG is 1046, just a little higher than its supposed to be.
I think this makes my efficiency pretty good.
**Update** Bottled today 10th July 2009, tasted pretty good